Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Finding my stride?

So last night I went out for a run after Becky got back from her walk/run. I left around 9:45 and knew that I would be out until 10:30 or so depending on where I was when I hit my mileage. I don't run the same pattern through the neighborhood on every run, but I go with a turn when the feeling hits me type of run. I was going for 3.5 miles last night and wasn't looking forward to it very much.

Somewhere around the two mile mark I noticed that I hadn't concerned myself with my breathing. I was listening to the first songs on a new playlist. Around 2.5 miles I was thinking "man this isn't bad at all tonight". And finally at 3 miles I had the thought that I could have pushed it to 5 miles without much effort.

I was talking to a former runner at work, and he described that feeling as hitting his stride or that time during a run where you feel like you can just keep motoring through. At my current rate of add .25 miles per run (.75 per week), I will be at my goal of 6 miles in just a little over 3 weeks. I'm averaging just a touch over 11 minutes per mile right now, so that 6 mile run will last about 70 minutes. That's a damn long time to run.

Once I hit that goal, I will back it down to two short runs and one long one a week so I can keep up my cardio until April.

No comments:

Post a Comment